Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I want to run away to the woods and find the perfect Christmas tree.

"Suddenly I found myself on Times Square.
I had traveled eight thousand miles around the American continent and I was back on Times Square;
and right in the middle of a rush hour, too,
seeing with my innocent road-eyes the absolute madness and fantastic hoorair of New York 
with its millions and millions hustling forever for a buck among themselves, the mad dream-
grabbing, taking, giving, sighing, dying, just so they could be buried 
in those awful cemetery cities beyond Long Island City.
The high towers of the land- the other end f the land, the place where Paper America is born.
I stood in a subway doorway, trying to get enough nerve to pick up a beautiful long butt,
and every time I stooped great crowds rushed by and obliterated it from my sight,
and finally it was crushed."


excerpt from "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac
photos by William Eggleston 

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

oh how lovely these collection of images are.
i would love to run into the woods and pick out our tree.

thank you for your lovely comment.as usual. your posts have been magical. i'm so rubbish at trying to keep up. i need to keep on top of such beautiful posts. x